10 Oct October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month
It’s BCAM! -Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Spreading the word about BCAM and getting others involved can mean posting helpful information on social media, running in a fundraiser, or busting out your favorite bright pink tutu. However you join the cause, remember that the goal is to raise awareness, remind your friends to self-exam, and be supportive to the breast cancer community.
Let’s kick this off by dropping some breast cancer knowledge:
- For women in the U.S., breast cancer death rates are higher than those for any other cancer, besides lung cancer.
- In women under 45, breast cancer is more common in African-American women than white women.
- About 5-10% of breast cancers can be linked to gene mutations inherited from one’s mother or father.
- About 85% of breast cancers occur in women who have no family history of breast cancer.
- About 41,760 women in the U.S. are expected to die in 2019 from breast cancer, though death rates have been decreasing since 1989.
Promote Self Examinations and Mammograms
Before you fill your BFF in on what you ate today, or who posted the dumbest thing you’ve ever seen on Facebook, touch base with them on their health. Are you getting enough sleep? Drinking your 8 glasses of wine water each day? Are you doing your self-examinations or scheduling your mammograms? Most of your female friends drop the habit because they forget about it. A simple reminder shows you care and it can save lives!
Learning about early detection and prevention can go a long way. The Suzan G. Komen Foundation offers free downloadable resources so you can read up and be a resource to others. About 1 in 8 U.S. women (about 12.4%) will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of their lifetime. Knowledge is power.
You can also donate to get involved, and some people are even leaving gifts toward breast cancer research in their will, which we think is a great idea! Thanks for supporting the breast cancer community and helping spread awareness. See you around The Club!