28 Feb National Heart Health Month: Let’s talk about hypertension
National Heart Health Month: Let’s talk about hypertension
Although we’re snowed in and our bodies haven’t seen the sun in four months, one great thing about February is that it’s National Heart Health Month. This is our yearly chance to focus on our heart health and reengage with healthy habits.
Last year we celebrated National Heart Health Month by sharing some easy to incorporate tips and changes in our everyday lives. You can revisit those here.
This year we want to dive into a specific topic in heart health, hypertension. Hypertension is simply abnormally high blood pressure. Left unchecked, hypertension can lead to severe complications and it increases the risk of heart disease, stroke, and death.
The American Heart Association offers a very simple, helpful chart to help us know what category we fall into:
The Silent Killer
Hypertension is known as a silent killer because most people who have it never even know. This is a largely symptomless health issue. So, if you’re waiting for a sign or symptom that your blood pressure has become elevated, you are taking a serious risk. This is why your annual check up is so important, especially as we grow older, gain weight, or carry on with unhealthy habits like drinking and smoking.
Have you heard the old saying, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”? It is so much better to craft your lifestyle in a way that prevents serious health issues like hypertension. Here are some pointers from Heart.org:
- Eat a well-balanced diet that’s low in salt
- Limit alcohol
- Enjoy regular physical activity
- Manage stress
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Quit smoking
- Take your medications properly
- Work together with your doctor
The Pinnacle Fitness Club Fam
Your community at PFC is here to fight heart disease together! Here are just a few of the ways that you can use your PFC membership to join the fight.
- Lead by example. It’s encouraging and inspiring to those around you when you walk the walk.
- Be part of the community. PFC is always coming out with new classes or groups to help keep you active and fit. Did you know we just launched a running club?
- Encourage a friend to join in your healthy lifestyle with Free Friend Fridays.
- Get connected. Join your PFC fam on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter. We’re always sharing helpful information and creating friendships.
- Use your resources. We pump out blogs and videos a few times each month to help you find new and exciting ways to stay active. You can discover new recipes to help with your well-balanced diet, stay educated on important health issues, or even just find fun fit-centric events near you.
Thanks for being a Pinnacle Fitness Club member and thank you for taking the time to invest a little in your heart health. Be sure to share helpful information like this with your network to help your friends and family on their heart health journey. See your around The Club!