08 Feb Everyday Heart Healthy Tips from Pinnacle Fitness Club
Did you know that February is Heart Health Awareness Month? Heart disease is the number one cause of death in the United States. Think about that for a moment -the number one cause of death, and it is often preventable. So, how have you been treating your ticker?
What’s great about Heart Health Awareness month is it brings to light that the same steps we need to take to prevent heart disease actually prevent many other illnesses, both mental and physical. The following heart disease prevention tips can lead to a happier, healthier, more balanced, you…
Maintain a Healthy Weight
Regardless of your overall weight, having a large amount of belly fat increases your risk of cardiovascular disease. In other words, belly fat isn’t just unsightly, it’s a major health risk. Daily exercise and a healthy nutrition plan will help you maintain a healthy weight. Small changes to your everyday life can also go a long way. Consider parking far from your destination and walking, take the stairs instead of the elevator, and increase your water intake. Don’t forget about picking up a gym membership!
Manage Your Stress
When you experience stress, a chain reaction occurs in your body. Your body releases adrenaline which causes your breathing and heart rate to increase and your blood pressure to rise. This is your body’s way to prepare you for whatever is stressing you out -your fight or flight instinct. When stress is constantly present, it wears on your body and puts your heart through the ringer.
Fortunately, there is no end to the fantastic ways to relieve stress. Here are just a few that top our list:
- Spend time with your pet! Studies show that spending time with your pet can actually lower your blood pressure in times of mental stress.
- Try meditating in the steam room or sauna. Not only does meditation slow your heart rate and lower stress hormones, you can detoxify while you’re at it!
- Pick up a crafty hobby like knitting, cross stitching or crocheting. Not only do these types of hobbies help clear the mind and reduce stress, you end up with great, handmade gifts.
- Exercise! Yoga in particular helps you learn how to handle stress in a healthy way. Lucky for you, Pinnacle offers several different yoga classes, some of which guide you through mindful meditation.
Know Your Numbers
It’s vital for good heart health to keep your blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar, and triglycerides in check. You should know what your optimal levels are for your age and sex. Keep a log of your numbers so you can check on your progress or catch unhealthy trends.
Food is Fuel
Before the eye rolls start, let us explain… Food is wonderful and it should certainly be enjoyed. That being said, you can’t expect your body to stay healthy and do everything you need it to do, if you’re only giving it crap. As for your heart in particular, that little organ works hard, and you can help it out by making these choices with your nutrition:
- Swap the meat out for fish high in omega-3s like salmon, tuna or trout.
- Put down the carb-loaded snacks and opt for almonds.
- When you think you need a sugar high, reach for berries instead.
- The more veggies the better! Get creative and try some vegetables that you’ve never had before.
- We could tell you to just put down the alcohol, but that’s not realistic for some. If you do want a drink, go for red wine.
- Oatmeal is a cheap, easy and heart healthy way to start your day.
Thanks for visiting the Pinnacle Fitness Club blog! We hope you’re taking good care of yourself and you’re better informed to give your heart some lovin’. Have a great Heart Health Awareness Month and remember, we heart you.
Heart disease is responsible for 1 in every 3 American female deaths. Show a woman in your life that you heart her by sharing this post! It’s easy, just click right HERE to tweet.